Friday, October 31, 2008

Biopsy Results

I started this month blogging about Breast Cancer Awareness Month and my personal experience with a breast cancer scare.  I thought the best way to close Breast Cancer Awareness Month would be in the same way.

Many of you have followed my scare and the process up until my surgery Tuesday.  Again, I thank you so much for your support and prayers.

A few people said I was brave.  If you have read my posts, you will know I was very afraid of the biopsy.

The day of the surgery, I was pretty calm until after the ductogram.  I do think that had a lot to do with being tired, hungry, thirsty, nauseous and in pain from that procedure.

I started to get emotional and then I thought about all the women that have had to go through the same thing.  I thought about all the women that had to have mastectomies.  All the women that had to go through chemotherapy and radiation.  All the women that are not so lucky as to find a problem very early.

Then I thought about the babies that were there that day.  I saw at least 4 children under the age of 1 going into surgery.  I thought about how terrified they were because they did not know or understand what was happening.

I relaxed and trusted that I would be fine.  And I was.  I am.  I still have had very little discomfort from the surgery and things seem to be healing well.

As promised, my surgeon called today with the results of the biopsy.

As she suspected, everything is fine.  It is not cancer.  It is a benign papilloma.  News that was much to the relief of my family and friends.  

Someone said she was sorry I had to go through that with it being nothing.  I am glad I had it done.  I would have continued to wonder what it was and the problem would not have ended.  It could have even grown larger. 

I won’t pretend I wasn’t afraid of the procedure or the possible results.  I won’t pretend that it was not painful and unpleasant. 

If I had known how painful it was going to be, I still would have gone through the procedure.  It could have saved my life.  If it had been cancer, it would have been so much easier to cure. 


Do not let fear stop you from saving your life.

No comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP