Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Not As Young As I Used To Be

When did you realize you’re not as young as you once were?

You look like you always have, you feel like you always have, until you do something you haven’t done in a long time.

Then it hits you.  I’m not as young as I used to be.

This morning I woke with a knot between my shoulder blades from all the painting I did. 

My thighs are sore as if I climbed a mountain from all the squatting painting around the baseboards.

A couple of months ago, however, was when I realized for the very first time just how far I am from being as young as I used to be.   

My sister’s family was over.  After a fun day, we had all come inside and I was on the floor with the kids.  My 6 year-old niece was doing some ballet moves and some yoga moves (though she doesn’t know it’s yoga).  She was basically being a contortionist.

She kept saying to my sister and I, “can you do this?”  We kept saying no, we used to, but not anymore.  Then she got into some position and asked the question.  I laughed and said, “no, but I can do this” and proceeded to do a backwards somersault.

After several minutes, I realized that it was a bad idea.  Not that I actually injured myself, but I was sore.  My neck especially.

I’m just not as young as I used to be. 

No comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP