Monday, October 13, 2008

Strange Job Interviews

I had a job interview the other day and it was one of the strangest interviews I’ve ever been on.

7 years ago when I interviewed for the job that ultimately made me sick (anxiety and stress manifesting itself in twitching, hives, chest pains and nearing an ulcer), I thought that was the strangest interview. 

They asked me things like what do I like to do for fun, when was the last time I went out, what did I do the last time I went out, what is the craziest thing I’ve ever done, etc.  Very few questions were asked about my qualifications. 

Last week, the interview was just as odd, if not more so, I have not decided yet. 

I sat with the HR person and an Executive Assistant.  It was the first round of interviews before meeting with the 3 people I would be supporting. 

They began telling me about the company, which is normal.  Then about their jobs and how long they have been there.  They told me about all of the benefits, which are excellent. 

Then, instead of asking me questions, they just said, “so that’s about us, not tell us about you.”  I told them about my work history and how it would fit into this job.  Well, as much as I could, because they didn’t tell me about this job itself.

After I finished my pitch, I thought they would ask more questions or ask if I had questions like in a normal interview.  Nope.  The one person excused herself because she had to take care of something. 

The HR person asked if I’d like a tour.  I accepted and we walked through the building.  I tried to show interest and sound somewhat knowledgeable. 

That was it.  They said they would be discussing the 5 candidates with the engineers one of us would be supporting and schedule those interviews this week.  She gave me her card and told me to feel free to contact her. 

I left thinking that I’d like to work there, it seems like a great place to work.  Plus there is a large pool of young, good looking men. 

Being that my record of weird job interviews has led to employment, maybe that’s a good sign.


Fingers crossed.

No comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP