Friday, October 17, 2008

Your Kid is FAT!

I met a friend for lunch the other day.  We were talking about her kids and she got really upset telling one story.

She has a 6-year-old daughter.  This little girl is not little by any means.  She is tall, a good inch or 2 above the other kids in her class.  She is also very sturdy.  She is athletic and always on the move. 

I would say she is a bit chubby, but not fat at all.  A lot of 6 year olds have a bit of chub on them, that’s normal (unless you have one like my niece who is super skinny and “slims” fall off of her).

This girl is built like her mom with her dad’s height.

They were all at a family gathering with her in-laws.  One of the aunts said to my friend that the girl is fat and needs to go on a diet.  She said they need to be careful and start watching her.

Not only did she announce this in front of the whole family, she said it in front of the 6 year old.

I did a post a while back about people needing a filter and I just can’t say it enough.

Do you NOT think?  Do you not realize that is setting that girl up for self-image and weight issues?

My friend was so angry because they do eat very healthy.  My friend has some medical issues that require her to eat organic and a lot of vegetables (I’ve never known anyone to eat so many veggies, to be honest).  She does have junk on occasion, but most kids do.  She is also a very active kid.  She takes 2 dance classes, plays sports and is always running around.  She has muscle, which is unusual on a 6 year old.

I was pissed listening to this.  It makes me crazy when people harp on weight.  Now, if someone is so overweight that they are at risk for health problems, then yes, that is a problem.  But if you are healthy and a little bigger, who cares?  It shouldn’t matter what you weigh or how you look. 

When I was a kid, I was a twig.  Just naturally.  I was tall and had the metabolism that most people would kill for.  I was called names for it.  Now, that weight would be considered ideal.  That is sad.

I have seen those onesies for babies that say, “does this make my butt look big?”

Are you F’ing kidding me?  For an infant?  Because 1st grade isn’t earlier enough to start with body image problems? 

I am hypersensitive to the way the media and other people attack someone for being soft.  Not even chubby, just soft.  Unless your bones are jutting out or you have a visibly toned body, you are crucified. 

What is that teaching our children? 

Women are no longer supposed to be womanly to be considered attractive.

Those standards have crossed over from celebrities to everyday people, kids included.

It’s sick.

No comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP