Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Table For Four

This Thanksgiving is not going to be as fun as it could be.

My sister and her family alternate between spending Thanksgiving in Chicago with us and going to southern Illinois to spend the holiday with her in-laws.  They do that with Easter too.

I really can’t complain because we get them for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day every year, no exception.
  
It is boring, though, without them.  When they are gone, it is just my mom, step-dad, grandma and me.  My mom takes dinner to my uncle and his kids because my uncle is only mobile via an electric scooter and he cannot get into our house because of the stairs.

Frankly, that part is fine with me.  I’d rather not deal with my uncle’s family and their drama.  But my sister’s family makes it fun and more like a holiday. 

My mom makes homemade stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, rolls and, of course, turkey.  She also makes chocolate pudding pie, pumpkin pie and Dutch apple pie. 

I act as her sous chef preparing things like the pie crust, chopping the onion, peeling and chopping the celery, cutting the bread for the stuffing and that kind of thing a day or two ahead of time.  The pie crusts and onions were done yesterday.  Today is celery and bread day. 

If it weren’t for those special dishes and desserts that are only made at this holiday, and the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, it would really feel like just another day (just without mail).

Don’t get me wrong, I am thankful for everything I have (of which I will post tomorrow), it’s just not as enjoyable without my little nuts. 

What about you?  What do you do for Thanksgiving?

No comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP