Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanks and Gratitude

My sister and her family were here Saturday, which kind of helps not miss them as much since they won’t be with us today. 

My niece, nephew and I were in the kitchen munching on some snacks and my niece started to tell me that they were talking about things to be thankful for in school while discussing Thanksgiving.

She was very annoyed because when she had gone home and told her mom and brother about it, her brother, my 3-year-old nephew, said he was thankful for his Lightning McQueen car.


She said that you are supposed to be thankful for things like your house.  She said that is what she is thankful for because it keeps her safe and warm.  The 40-year-old 6-year-old told me that. 

I smiled and said that she was right, you should be thankful for things like your house, your food and your family, but it’s ok to be thankful for things like your favorite toys too.

She said, “well, I’m just thankful for my house, that’s it.”

She is such an old soul, smart and wise all at once, but also so young and innocent.  I love it.

This year, I am thankful for the roof over my head, clothes on my back, food on my table and, of course, my family and friends (including my blogger friends).

I’m also thankful to have a car that runs, though it is suffering from issues like windows that don’t roll up or down but fall down on their own, wipers that work temperamentally and tires that leak sporadically.  It takes me where I need to go.

I’m thankful for my health and the health of my loved ones.  With the breast cancer scare, I am extra aware of the gratitude for good health.

I am thankful for my mind and the ability to think freely.

I am thankful for my freedom and my rights.

I am thankful for the men and women that sacrifice of themselves to keep my freedom and those that have fought for those freedoms in the past.

I am also thankful for the little things, like my nephew.  My laptop, my cameras, my books, my TV, my CD’s.  Things I COULD live without, but whose presence makes me happy.

How about you?  What are you thankful for this year?


No comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP