Wednesday, December 10, 2008

From Vampires to Godmothers

You might recall that I had been reading Twilight and New Moon a couple of weeks ago.  I was addicted and enthralled by these two books.  However, I had to stop myself from buying Eclipse and Breaking Dawn so that I could put them on my Christmas List.

To break my mind free from these stories, I picked up a book I had received for my birthday, The Godmother by Carrie Adams.

I had been browsing in Borders one day and picked it up because of the title.

The cover described the main character: “Tessa King Has Seven Best Friends, Four Godchildren, And One Big Wish – To Have A Life Of Her Own.”  It also had a rave from one of my favorite authors, Adriana Trigiani, on the cover.

That was enough for me, so I put it on my birthday list.

I had expected to enjoy the story, but not to relate to the main character as much as I did.  

Of course, there are many characteristics of Tessa’s that are nothing like me, like her sleeping around and drinking all too often.  That’s not me at all.

The other things, though, are very much me.  For starters, she has 4 godchildren, as do I.  She’s single in her 30’s and wants children of her own.  She is unemployed after a very unpleasant work incident.  She is very comfortable not working and is terrified to go back to work after having been traumatized, even though she needs to find a job and is looking for work.  She has been living a half-life, floating or coasting through life not truly living.

It takes a series of serious situations for her to see herself clearly and realize what she needs to do to take control of her life.

I felt like I was reading about myself at times.  It was somewhat frightening, actually, but also very comforting to know that there are people that think the way I do.  I also found the book to be very amusing.  The book is set in England and I really enjoy English authors.  There are things most American authors don’t include in their writing that some English authors, this one included, discuss such as gas and using the bathroom.

Makes for some great comic relief.

It took a story about a fellow godmother to break the spell of the vampires in Twilight.  Hoping that I get Eclipse and Breaking Dawn, for Christmas, I am sure that the vampires will suck me in once again. 




In the meantime, I am off to read Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella.

No comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP