Monday, February 23, 2009

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

It’s Fat Tuesday! 

If you participate, it is your last chance to indulge before lent begins.

Traditionally a religious observance, Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday, has become synonymous with excess.  Carnival is prominent in many cities worldwide, but in the United States, New Orleans is it. 

If you ever wondered why everything Mardi Gras related is purple, gold and green, it is because those are the colors of Mardi Gras.  There are several Mardi Gras parade krewes, but the krewe Rex selected the colors in 1872 and gave them their meaning in 1892.  

Purple represents justice, Gold represents power and Green represents faith.  

Having French origins, it makes sense that New Orleans would be the host to Mardi Gras.  If you ever get down there, be sure to stop by Mardi Gras World and check out the floats and costumes on hand.

New Orleans is my favorite city; I have been there many times.  Every year around this time, she calls to me.  I can smell, taste and feel the city around me, though I am all the way in chilly Chicago.

It is not the alcohol and freedom from inhibitions that draws me, though it does not hurt.  It is the architecture, the art, the food (who could resist the food?), the music, the people.

It has been over 2 years since my last visit and I do miss you, Vieux Carré!

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

No comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP