Sunday, February 1, 2009

Party Planning

It has been an entire week without my car. 

We replaced the battery, but that didn’t fix it.  We are waiting for the mechanic we know to get a chance to look at it.  I have no idea when I will get it back. 

It is very difficult to be without a car, especially for someone who has always had one.  I don’t like relying on someone else.  Not much I can do about it though.

In the meantime, we have finally made progress on my grandma’s party.

I think I have mentioned before that we are throwing Grandma a 90th birthday party.  We aren’t telling her about it until a week before because she would obsess and work herself into a state of nausea.

We set the date over the weekend at a restaurant nearby.  I designed the invitations and am just working on the font to perfect it.  We got the cardstock on which to print them.  My sister will probably make photo collages like she did for my mom’s party, but I am working on some other photo projects. 

I am going to do two photo projects.  I am searching the house for this big Rubbermaid box of photos that belong to my grandma.  I found the box 10 years ago when I made her a photo gift for her 80th, but it has been moved since and I don’t know where it is now.  I’m going to put the photos in an album for her and the guests to look at.

I also have searched online for some photos of the ballrooms she used to go dance at every weekend when she was a girl, the streetcars she took (yes, Chicago had streetcars once) and some other fun photos of Chicago in her heyday.  I’m going to print them, probably frame them and scatter them around the room.

In addition to those projects, I am also putting together a timeline.  US and Chicago history from 1919 to now.  It’s one thing to say she is 90 and realize how old she is, but entirely different to look at what has occurred in her lifetime.  It’s amazing how much has changed.  I might put some of that up as I get it done so you can see too.  

My mom asked my sister to put together some music too.  Music from the 30’s and 40’s, mostly Jazz.  It should be fun, I love that music.

Right now, the main focus is getting the invitations out.  I am including a map and some nearby hotels for people coming from out of town, so I have to finish that up, then print them and the labels so we can send them out in the next week. 

It’s getting hard to not say anything to her, but I am excited and can’t wait to see who shows for this.  The guest list is about 100 people, but the room only holds 80, so let’s hope not everyone comes! 


No comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP