Sunday, February 15, 2009

What A Fatty!

We have all seen this photo, correct?

photo credit: Chris Gordon, WireImage

The photo that set the world on fire, right?

The image shows Jessica Simpson with a few extra pounds from when we last saw her. 
The media has blown this story out of proportion.  She gained a few pounds.  So what?
I will disclose right now that I do not like Jessica Simpson.  I find her more irritating than I can even tell you.

Regardless of personal feelings toward her, I found this story to be offensive and a sad example of the pressure women are under to be perfect.

If a woman is not a size 0, she is fat.  I must be obese because I am a size 10 at 5’10.  Holy crap, send me to The Biggest Loser right now!

I don’t see a fat woman in this photo.  I see a woman who is healthy.  She is not a stick figure, she has curves. 

When are we going to stop beating each other up?  When are we going to say “that is enough?”

Until women stop buying the tabloids that vilify women for being womanly, our children are going to be the ones to suffer.  Little girls and young women see these stories and grow up thinking they have to be skinny or, worse yet, perfect to be accepted.

As a former anorexic, it pains me to see stories like this.  In the recent past, it was Jennifer Love Hewitt and Tyra Banks who were under fire for not being stick figures.

We can’t win.  If we are skinny and small chested with no butt, we are teased for looking like a boy.  If we are curvy and womanly, we are told we are fat.

NEWSFLASH!  There is no such thing as perfection.  It is a mind game and a sick form of torture.

Let it go.  As long as you are healthy, embrace your body. 


Where the media should have targeted Jessica Simpson in this photo is her wardrobe.

What IS that?  

No comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP