Monday, April 27, 2009

Blogging Friendships

When I first started blogging last July, I had no idea what to expect.

I had never blogged, other than a private blog on Myspace, and I didn't know the rules or niceties. I didn't expect anything from blogging other than earning a little money and being able to write.

I'm a writer living in a situation that doesn't really allow me to write the way I'd like to. I have written a novel, but can't work on the editing often because my living situation inhibits my writing style.

When I write fiction, I need to spread myself out and have quiet. Not something I get in this house. No room for spreading and constant chatter and interruptions.

I was thrilled to be able to write, even if it wasn't for my first born (read novel).

It took me a few weeks to get into a groove but I was enjoying the freedom to write. I started picking up the rules and niceties of blogging along the way.

What I had never expected, though, was to gain friendships.

It may seem absurd to non-blogger people, but blogging can create friendships among strangers.

For the most part, the people I have connected with through blogging truly care about each other and the world around them.

I hear jokes made about bloggers all the time, but my guess is they are not really seeing the people behind the blogs.

There are some incredibly intelligent, gifted writers.

There are some fascinating and funny people.

There are some people with real stories that could move even the hardest heart to tears.

There are people with so much knowledge and experience to share.

There are people that care greatly about humanity and would go out of their way to help a stranger.

I've found people in the same state all the way to other continents with whom I have developed a friendship. It doesn't matter what race, religion, political affiliation, age, gender, sexual orientation. On the internet, through blogging, the differences mean nothing.

I am beyond happy to have made these connections over the last several months. I am so proud to call you my friends.


submit to reddit Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Bookmark and Share

9 comments:

PaulsHealthBlog.com said...

Hey! I like the new look of your blog!

Have a great day!

Paul

Eat Well. Live Well.
PurpleGreenPops.com

SLColman said...

I am new to blogging too - began in December of 2008 myself. It is shocking the friendships that are made and how awesome people are that blog :)

I am so happy that I decided to go on this adventure - who knew that 1 blog would grow to 4 or that I would make so many great friends along the way!

Have a great week :)

Patricia Rockwell said...

Kelly,
Just wanted you to know that we thought about you (and talked about you) at our blogger get-together yesterday and promised that we would hold the next meeting on a date when you could attend!

Kate Burton said...

You are not crazy, there are real friendships that develop and they come with the same problems as any other friendship. I was depressed for a day and a half when one of my readers/friends died. My non blogging husband didn't quite get it.

Oh well!

Kelly B said...

Thanks, Paul!

SL, blogging is addicting isn't it? I really have no idea how you manage 4 blogs, though! 1 is all I can manage!

Patricia, thanks! It looks like you guys had fun from the photos!

Kate, I'd be depressed if one of my readers/friends died too! Some men just don't understand how women can connect so easily.

Sherri said...

You know, I think there is something about blogging that makes it easier to open up and share personal things with others. When you meet people in person, you have to get past perceptions and preconceived notions. I have met many wonderful bloggers that I consider friends, too.

Ana R. Barbosa said...

Yes, blogging is socializing!
very nice one your blog!
A blogger friend!
=)

Lola said...

Yeah, what Patricia said. We had a great time. And when we talked about you it was all good. Honest! Be sure to check out my 2 posts on the meet-up. One is on Lola's Diner, the other on FCR.


http://lolasdiner.blogspot.com/2009/04/chicago-area-blogger-meet-up-results.html

http://firecrotchrocket.blogspot.com/2009/04/chicago-area-blogger-meet-up-fly-on.html

Phyl said...

I started my internet adventure on a discussion forum called Table Talk (attached to Salon.com) ten years ago. More interactive than a blog, but with much the same results.

I always tell people that I have countless really really good friends -- and I've even met some of them in person. :-)

Yes, it's possible to meet idiots on blogs and in forums just as much as in person. But when you see people day after day, talk to them, learn about them, share some of yourself -- that's real. You really do know them. You make absolutely real friendships.

Some of my best friends in the world are people I've never met in person. (Yet!)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP