Thursday, April 16, 2009

Midnight Sun

That title makes me think of Led Zeppelin, however, it has nothing to do with them or their music.
You, by now, know of my fascination with the Twilight books. As I did my post about the movie, I had gone to Stephenie Meyer's website for the film poster images and I noticed the link for Midnight Sun.
My friend had told me that Meyer had written Twilight from Edward Cullen's perspective a while ago, but I had forgotten about it. I clicked on the link to Midnight Sun and I started to read.
In case you are unaware, Twilight is a love story. Between a vampire and a human. The story follows the whole star-crossed lovers idea of Romeo and Juliet while adding a forbidden and dangerous love aspect.
A huge part of Bella Swan's character is the self-defamation and the belief that she is not pretty enough or good enough for Edward Cullen. She is ordinary while he has the beauty, speed, strength, grace and allure of a vampire. She doesn't think she can hold a candle to another vampire, why would he love her?
While reading Midnight Sun, I'm surprised to learn that Edward felt the same way. Unworthy of her love. He doesn't feel he is good enough for her. He's a monster and she is purely good, why would she love him?
Stephenie Meyer only made it about half way through the Twilight story from Edward's perspective. Apparently someone leaked her draft so, she posted as far as she got with the draft and stopped. She was too upset to continue.
I really hope she gets back to it. I really enjoyed reading Midnight Sun (typos of a draft and all) as much if not more than Twilight. It is rare to get to hear a book from another character's voice, but with this story, it is really insightful to hear what Edward was thinking during all of those tense moments we get on Bella's side.
There are a lot of fun extras on Stephenie Meyer's website. If you are a fan of the books and haven't checked out her website, you will feel like a kid in a candy store as I do!



Bookmark and Share
submit to reddit

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm entirely with you on this. My daughter pointed it out to me and I was fascinated. I find Edward much more interesting than Bella so it was an idea that really appealed to me.

Recent blog post: Thieving Thursday: Increasing the Vocabulary of the Ungrateful

Ray said...

I've read all the Twilight series too plus the Midnight Sun. I like Edward's point of view, it's refreshing to know what he was thinking. :)

Recent blog post: China and Latin America

Mara de Guzman said...

I also have Midnight Sun here in my laptop. I haven't finished reading it yet but I hope Stephenie gets back to it soon!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP