Thursday, April 2, 2009

We Wore Her Out


Yesterday we told Grandma about the party Saturday. We waited until she was done eating and the told her. We were still at the restaurant, which was probably good, she had to remain composed.

She was shocked. I think she was waiting for us to say "April Fool's." She was silent for a while. My mom and I sat there with big grins on our faces because we have been hiding this for months and were excited to finally tell her.

After a few minutes she wanted to know who we invited. We told her the usual. My mom also warned her that one of her sister's might be there because she was afraid the shock of seeing her might be too much if she wasn't prepared. She was thrilled about that.


When she found out my uncle, who is bedridden from MS, is planning on coming and we had already made arrangements for a wheelchair accessible van to get him there, she got emotional. She said she never expected a party like this and if she could only have both her children and her 4 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren all together at once that would be enough.

I can't tell you how rare it is for us all to be in on room.

Once she realized my uncle was going to be there she was relieved and started to get excited. I realized at that point that the silence and straight face had been the guilt of a mother who was 90 and healthy with a 57 year old son who is not healthy as well as sorrow that he wasn't going to celebrate with her. When that was changed, she was happy.

She started asking who was coming, but we told her to stop asking questions, everything from that point was a surprise.

She got 4 floral arrangements plus a tulip plant. I told her she had as many flowers as she was old.

She stopped and visited my uncle then my sister and her kids came by for a few hours. Grandma had tons of phone calls and didn't go to bed until 10:00 pm. That's a long day for her with no nap and being so social. She is so excited about the party now. I can't wait for her to see all her guests.

The only possibly sad news is the my oldest friend may not be coming in from Georgia now. She was supposed to come for the weekend, but her youngest son got a bug. She said she will play it by ear. Fingers crossed. I haven't seen her in a year and a half.

4 comments:

Alicia aka "Fashiona" said...

I am so happy it went well. I do think it was a good call to have her sister just in case she felt overwhelmed.

Patricia Rockwell said...

I am anxiously following your updates about the party! It's so nice she knows and is happy!

laneerg said...

I think that probably was a good idea to let her know ahead of time so that the surprise of it all wouldn't be too much. I hope the party goes well on Saturday!

*lynne* said...

... this brings back fond memories of the 90th birthday celebrations of my maternal grandmother :) It wasn't a surprise like how you're organising it, but we had almost all the direct family there, it was great to have them all together in one place at one time :)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP