Friday, June 26, 2009

3 Icons Gone

The death of Ed McMahon, while sad, was not too terribly unexpected. He was 86 and struggling with cancer.

No doubt, I was saddened to hear that he passed. He has been a presence my entire life from watching the Tonight Show as a kid to Star Search to seeing him knock on doors presenting sweepstakes checks to lucky winners.

He had a long, fulfilling life for which we will all remember him. It's unfortunate that he had to spend his last years dealing with his very public financial issues. He will be missed.

Farrah Fawcett's death was also not too terribly unexpected. However, I feel very sad about her passing. Her battle with cancer has been long and very public; I don't think there was a person out there that wasn't pulling for her to beat it.

I was born in the 70's, so I grew up with her image and her name all round me. Her image as one of Charlie's Angels and the hairstyle named after her feathery hair will live on forever. Most recently her image has been of a courageous woman truly fighting cancer and a woman preparing to marry her longtime love, Ryan O'Neal.

I'm sorry she lost her battle and I am sorry for those who loved her. I think I am particularly touched by her death because she was only a year older than my mother. May her family find peace.

Michael Jackson's death is such a shock. I first saw it online and I did not believe it. Then my mom told me she heard it on the radio.

I know his life has been strange the last decade or so, but he is an icon, a true American Idol, the King of Pop. I do not remember a time in my life when Michael Jackson wasn't influencing something. The first record I bought was his. I have his doll. I had a glove like his.

He was a musical genius. Like Prince, he was eccentric, but beyond talented in everything he touched. A true performer.

I will not speak to the allegations and charges he faced nor his plastic surgeries. I will not disparage the dead. However, I will say that he will be remembered for his musical contributions and the way he changed the face of pop music and videos.

His death is shocking me almost as much as Heath Ledger's. I just cannot believe it.

I hope all three icons can rest in peace and their families can also find peace. The world will not forget them.

submit to reddit
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Bookmark and Share



10 comments:

globalwarminggreatday said...

good icon friend!!!

Tina T said...

It is strange the way these things happen in threes. I too was shocked by Michael Jackson, especially after hearing his death announced only hours after Farrah's. He was definitely one of a kind and hopefully will be remembered more for his talent and not the strangeness of his life.

Oscar Gecko said...

I am glad to hear someone acknowledging more than Michael. His death seems to have overshadowed the others...

Sue said...

Thank you for mentioning Ed McMahon, I feel his death didn't hardly get any attention, I liked him the best out of them all.

Empty Streets said...

Hi,


It is the weekend again and am dropping by as always to check out what's new and to wish a restful weekend :) xoxo

Poetic Shutterbug said...

I never really believed in that saying that everything happens in threes but it does seem to be that way. All of these losses were tragic and they all enriched our lives in so many ways.

Jenni said...

I am a little young to remember Ferrah but I do remember Ed and Michael. I remember watching Michael as a young girl. I loved his clothes. Last night I was watching his videos. My little boy was mesmerized by him. That tells you he is an icon when a five year old boy stops and watches him 25 years later.

I feel for Michael's kids. The media is going to be all over them. That's sad. They need to let them grieve their father.

I found your blog through Nontraditional Students. I like the colors of your blog. Very eye catching. :)

The Fitness Diva said...

My mind still tries to shake off the death of MJ. It's like, "no, that just can't be true". It's crazy.

I think it's great that Ryan was there for Farrah's last days. That's true love for you. Even years after the ending of their love relationship, he was still there for her.

May they all rest in peace.

Dori said...

I posted about all three also. They all had a great influence upon our popular culture. They will never be forgotten. I still can't quite wrap my mind around MJ's death. My hubby and I were supposed to be seeing him in concert in London on July 24th. We were really looking forward to it.

May they all rest in peace.

betchai said...

reading this, i remember your previous post about bad things happen in 3's, this is strange. but like what you said, the death of Farah and Ed though were saddening, but not very shocking, Michael's kind of unexpected, very unexpected.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP