Friday, July 31, 2009

The Kid Made My Day

I was in the grocery store today, the soup aisle to be exact, when a little girl ran up to me.

She tapped me on the arm and I looked down to see this smiling face looking up at me.

This girl was about 8 or 9, I'd say, and had some form of Downs Syndrome. She was showing me some pieces of paper she had found.

I could see how proud she was of this paper. I smiled and talked to her about it for a minute or so. When I said how nice it was, she smiled, gave me a thumbs up and said, "nice." The first word she said to me.

Her mom and brothers (who looked like twins) were about 5-10 feet away during this encounter. When they came closer, she tapped me again and said, "bye" then gave me a big hug.

She made my day today.

8 comments:

KAT said...

That is such a sweet story! She would have made my day too, If I had seen her.

Keep smiling!
Kat

Anna said...

Those wonderful, surprising little moments make all the difference in a day!

My Restless Feet said...

Kids are always a blessing ... and in their cute little ways they'll always manage to turn a bad day into a good one.

Stephanie B said...

Interestingly enough, you probably made hers, too.

Dorothy L said...

Out of the mouths of babes...I have always been curious about how children think and how it is always without judgment or expectation...simply with heart!

I remember when my granddaughter was about 6 and she told me in no uncertain terms that 'the world was not going to come to an end over it'..Talk about being hit with a sense of realism...kids are awesome!

Jude said...

Like one of your commenters' said you probably also made her day. These children are very special and loving usually the children I see in grocery stores are little hellions unfortunately.

Poetic Shutterbug said...

How sweet is that? A child can always bring such happiness.

Diane said...

So sweet. So many people either ignore or don't know how to "handle" such situations.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP