Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Damn Nurse!

Last week I got a flu shot.

I don't recall having had one as an adult. I never felt the need for one.

With the whole swine flu thing, my mother basically begged me to get a flu shot.

I was hesitant, but since she was begging, I agreed.

We both went together. The doctor's office had back to back appointments, which is unusual at this particular doctor's office.

They said, just come in at our scheduled times and the nurse would give us the shots.

Excellent. In and out.

My mom's appointment was at 3:30, mine at 3:45. They had us sign the waiver as we came in. I thought that was great because it would save us some time.

35 minutes later, my mom asked the women at the desk what the problem was. They said there were only 2 nurses working and the doctor's were busy so the nurses were going back and forth between the doctor's and the flu shots.

My mom asked them what the point of an appointment was if they weren't going to stick to it? If they were busy they shouldn't have scheduled the flu shots.

She came back and waited another 10 minutes before she was called. She came out and told me she yelled at the nurse.

Great. I'm next.

It was a full hour after my scheduled appointment. I go in and the nurse gives me more paperwork to fill out. Really?

The entire hour I was sitting in the waiting room didn't seem like a good time to have me do this?

Then she proceeds to tell me that they shouldn't give me the shot because I hadn't been to the office in 4 years.

It's not like I haven't been to a doctor. I get a yearly exam and blood panel at my gynecologists. I have had mammograms and surgery in the last year. I was in an immediate care center last year for sinusitis and bronchitis.

By this point I was annoyed, plus I woke up in a bad mood.

I fill out her stupid paper work but leave the bottom empty. She comes in and tells me I HAVE to fill that out.

All it is is the part where I assign someone for them to discuss my records with.

Um, I don't think I should blanketly give permission for that.

I already gave you an emergency contact. If I have something wrong with me, I will give you the name of the person to talk to.

She tells me she will give me the shot, then I can finish that and make an appointment to see the doctor.

Whatever, lady.

She stabs my arm and I swear to you, it hurt! Badly! I kept thinking, no wonder little kids cry!

I've had shots before. I have had blood drawn. I am not afraid of needles. But that hurt!

She left and I filled out the bottom of the damn sheet. I walked to the front and no one was there. I set the form on the counter and bolted. I wasn't waiting another minute in this place.

I waved to my mom to go. I got in the car and told her how bad it hurt and she said it didn't hurt her at all.

I said, that's because you yelled at the lady and pissed her off, so she took it out on me!

Then I told her what the woman told me about not having been there and the stupid form.

My mom said I have to fill out the bottom because if I was in the ER, they'd fax it to the ER and know they could talk to her.

I said, if I am in ER in such a situation where I cannot speak or write, then they will need to work on me before they can find out who my primary physician is, contact the office and have them fax it, so that paper would be of absolutely no use.

Otherwise, I can assign a person to discuss my medical condition with at the time. I don't like the idea of giving open, blind permission for them to discuss my health with anyone including my mother.

1 comment:

Patricia Rockwell said...

Sounds like she was rough on you when she injected because she was annoyed and you were probably tense because of all you went through--so it was probably like a train hitting a brick wall. Next time, go to a drugstore and spend $25. In and out in a minute.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP