Sunday, July 7, 2013

Back To Work Bliss

As I mentioned, I am a Nanny. 
 
When I decided to pursue this career, there were many reasons it appealed to me aside from my love of children.

Nannying provides a flexible work environment.  I am not stuck behind a desk, or even in an office building.  My office is wherever the child is or needs to go.  When most of my friends don’t see the light of day all winter, I actually get to go outside.  When it’s a perfect summer day, I get to relish in it.  Likewise, if it is a horrible day, we stay put.  I also get to eat whenever I want (assuming the child isn’t in need of something), though bathroom breaks are few and far between. 

Nannying for very young children allows some down time.  Many Nannies are required to do other tasks, so this is not true for all, but in my case, I am only responsible for the child and cleaning her dishes, so when she naps, my time is free.  I can watch TV, read, make calls, etc.  One of the big reasons I wanted to Nanny was to get some writing time in that I cannot get at home.  I am trying to make this a priority before nap
times cease to exist.

Nannying is relatively stress-free.  Coming from a very stressful office environment, having a stress-free work environment was crucial.  Sadly, it has not always been stress-free, but right now, it is as stress-free as one could possibly hope.  There are other stressors that come with the responsibility of caring for someone’s child, but if you have the experience and the know-how, it lessens this stress level. 

I really wanted a job where I could leave at the end of the day and not think about work.  I didn’t want to have to think about any of it, especially what I have to do tomorrow or how behind I am in XYZ or how I am going to deal with so-and-so.  I figured Nannying would make this possible.

I failed to realize how much I would think about my charge.  It’s like any job.  The people you are with and what you do all day are what you talk about at home and with friends.  In a Nanny’s case, it’s the charge(s) and details of the day.  I got over this unexpected detail very quickly because I remembered how easily you all in love with the kids. 
I have been off the past week, so I haven’t seen my charge in 10 days.  I miss her and can’t wait to see how she’s grown and what changes she may have made.  You know you love your work when you look forward to going back after 10 days off.  

No comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP