Thursday, July 18, 2013

My Disease. Or YAY YOU!

I have a disease.  It's a good one, I think, but still a disease in my mind nonetheless. 
I can't help myself.

I am compelled to always be the cheerleader. 

I was never an actual cheerleader.  Let’s be clear.  I do not mean the “rah rah” kind of cheerleader.  I have never been bubbly or perky or any other adjective that can be associated with a beverage.  Except for caffeinated.  I am always caffeinated. 

My disease is in being a cheerleader for people.  I cannot help myself.  I am always trying to lift people up to make them feel better about themselves.  It doesn’t matter who they are, how I know them, if they have wronged me, angered me, if they make me want to punch them or scream or even if I don’t know them at all.  I just can’t help myself. 

We live in a society that feeds off of tearing people down.  We are goaded into some unnecessary competition with each other for every little thing: to have more, to be more, to do more, to be superior in every way.  I do this better than you.  The way I live is better than you.  The way I think is better than you.  I am kinder than you.  I am less ignorant than you.  My way of parenting is better than yours. 


It’s sad and it is pathetic.  I hate it.  Why do we do this?  Why do we feel we have to do this?  It is based in insecurity for certain.  Low self-worth or self-esteem that requires lifting ourselves up by squashing each other. 

All that does is squash us all.

When you do this, you not only knock the person you target down, but by causing them damage, you further the cycle causing them to then knock someone else down.  Nor are you truly lifting yourself up.  It is a false sense of worth.  Flipping it by being kind and lifting others up would lift your spirit so much more than knocking someone down ever could.  Try it.

As Thumper says, “if you can’t say something nice, don’t say nothing at all.”

No comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP